[CryptoParty] file uploads to cryptoparty wiki

Kai Engert kaie at kuix.de
Fri Jul 5 14:19:32 GMT 2013

On Fri, 2013-07-05 at 06:17 +0200, Samuel Carlisle wrote:
> @everyone I dont know how it is for others but I have been trying
> unsuccsessfully to upload some documents to the wiki and the upload form
> https://www.cryptoparty.in/index?tab_files=upload&do=media&ns= seems to
> hang on the loading animation sometimes.
> What is your experience, please share? (Or is this just some browser plugin

I had problems using several areas of the wiki using Firefox. Uploading
problems, also sitemap problems. I found one other browser that worked,
but I don't like that other browser.

I'm worried the software powering our wiki isn't really cross-browser.
It's fine to require a modern browser, but usability of our project
shouldn't be restricted to one particular browser.

> @moritz can I request / propose raising the maxium file upload size to
> something like 10MB or 20MB (think like the size of a email attachement. I
> tried to upload some graphics / flyers earlier and 1MB is far too low for
> this, I needed at least 5.2MB for the archive and > 2MB per hi-res image.

If we allow general upload of large files, then I'm worried it might get
abused. Everyone uploading must be aware of copyright rules, and someone
might try to abuse our service for other file sharing purposes.
Eventually, someone must be responsible for each uploaded file.

I'm willing to host a few files on the cryptoparty.is server. However, I
must review all files that I host on my infrastructure to ensure it
won't cause trouble.

Because of that, if you want to share a file, it might be best if you
find a place to host it on a place that you control, and then add an
external link to the wiki.

Regards
Kai