[CryptoParty] Proposal: All content should be Public Domain = No copyright

ml at enteig.net ml at enteig.net
Fri Jul 5 17:00:58 GMT 2013

On Fri, 5 Jul 2013, Kai Engert wrote:

> I've asked in a creative-commons chat.
>
> "If content is cc-by-sa, but content doesn't specifcy the author, and
> content doesn't specify the manner of attribution - can the content be
> used without attribution?"
>
> I was told:
>
> "if the author really did not give any name to be attributed by, you do
> not have to credit one."
>
> As a result, I don't see how the cc-by-sa is different from public
> domain.

The difference is that copyleft forces derivatives to be licenced under
a copyleft licence, too. The same is not true for public domain.

> From my point of view, cryptoparty is intended to create resources for
> the general public, and a public domain license seems most appropriate
> for that.
>
> The Artwork and Flyers usually don't include embedded information about
> the license. We should encourage everyone to reuse and remix resources,
> without fear for copyright violations.

Well it should. The question you posed in the creative commons chat was
specificly about content that _alread_ was stated to be CC. You cannot
simply apply the answer to _all_ content (which is not licenced in any
way).

_Not_ stating any licence makes it hard for users which e.g. just pick
up a flyer on the street to determine if they are allowed e.g. scribble
some additional info on it and copy it in a copy shop and distribute the
message further.

The other point is that there already is content connected to
cryptoparty which is not public domain. I don't want that to be
excluded.

For all new content we should encourage CC0/public domain although I
would appreciate a tiny cc:by-sa badge stating "The CryptoParty
Community" (or similar) as author.

tl;dr: encouraging CC0, not excluding other free and/or copyleft
licences.