[CryptoParty] Proposal: All content should be Public Domain = No copyright

ml at enteig.net ml at enteig.net
Fri Jul 5 18:14:02 GMT 2013

HI,

On Fri, 5 Jul 2013, Kai Engert wrote:

>> The other point is that there already is content connected to
>> cryptoparty which is not public domain. I don't want that to be
>> excluded.
>
> Do we know the license of all existing content?

As far as I can tell everything on the cryptoparty.in site is accounted
for.

>> For all new content we should encourage CC0/public domain although I
>> would appreciate a tiny cc:by-sa badge stating "The CryptoParty
>> Community" (or similar) as author.
>
> - person A creates flyer, holds copyright, shared using cc-by-sa
> - person B uses flyer, creates new flyer,
>  but forgets to include the bad
>
> What happens? Person A angry, person B in trouble?
> It would be nice to prevent that scenario.

This scenario is unlikely since Person B would have to _actively remove
the badge_.

> I propose:
> Content uploaded to the wiki should either
> - visually embed its license information
>  (even in flyers)
> - uploader of new content must carefully label
>  the license next to the content in the wiki
>  (this means, you cannot simply upload it using the
>  media manager)
> - or we'll assume it's public domain.
>
> When in doubt, we'll remove it.

The last two points exclude each other. It is definetly safer to not
host content we don't know the copyright status of.

In the end this would fall back on Moritz, so I guess it is his
decision.

>> tl;dr: encouraging CC0, not excluding other free and/or copyleft
>> licences.
>
> How about the following modified reminder for the artwork/flyer/slides
> pages:
>
> "We encourage you to donate your artwork, your flyers or your slides to
> the public domain. If you require a different license, please clearly
> embed licensing information into your work, or clearly label your work
> with the correct license. It should be possible to reuse/remix existing
> resources without having to worry too much."

This is excellent.

Sincerely,

Malte