[CryptoParty] A mascot for OpenPGP?

Samuel Carlisle samuelcarlisle at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 15:53:41 GMT 2013

OMG TRTLZ!

@Liz here is the public domain clip art on turtles!
https://openclipart.org/search/?query=turtle

@Hauke, hehe a mascot for OpenPGP! Nice! I am forwarding this to a friend
of mine, Liz, who is rather talented in the illustration department. Lets
see what she thinks!

@Liz, openPGP is quite an important large opensource project that helps
people encrypt emails. Hauke has posted to the GNUPG mailing list about a
mascot / logo for the project. Now geeks take this stuff quite seriously so
it would be pretty epic to get a chance to make a logo for a project like
this :)
Comments? Thoughts? Creative suggestions? Thanks!

@Liz here is the current public domain artwork for Cryptoparty:
https://github.com/cryptoparty/artwork

@Liz here are some other projects and related organisation's logos for some
input / ideas:
GNUPG: http://www.gnupg.org/share/logo-gnupg-light-purple-bg.png
GNU: http://cdn.ttgtmedia.com/ITKE/uploads/blogs.dir/8/files/2008/02/gnu.png

@Hauke I also notice there is not really a compelling logo for enigmail-
should we contact those guys too?
Enigmail: http://www.enigmail.net/_img/logo.gif

ideas / inspiration

Hello,

for the first time in history(?) cryptography has become a subject for
mainstream media. Over the last weeks my web page got a visitors increate of
600+% for the key word "openpgp".

That's nice but crypto still has a "rather low" fun factor. I don't claim that
the fun factor is the decisive part of a possible "success" of mainstream
crypto but it may make the work of some promoting people easier. And maybe we
can get this without much work.

Linux has its cuddly penguin, BSD its devil, openSUSE the chameleon... Whether
the GNU gnu increases the fun factor is a difficult question... ;-)

I guess it would be good to have something like that for OpenPGP. Something
that people both like and recognize. Something that both instructors (OpenPGP
courses) and private people, companies and other organizations which use it
can put on their web pages in order to create awareness.

I would prefer something with a strong appearance, a smiling rhino or gorilla
maybe. :-)

I am a total artistic black-out so I can hardly do more about that than say "I
would like to have it". But if it turns out that there is a broad agreement
(above all among those who publicly promote crypto) that it would be nice to
have something like that then we might search for talented volunteers in the
community.

Hauke
--
Crypto für alle: http://www.openpgp-schulungen.de/fuer/bekannte/