[CryptoParty] Analysis of 'German Foundation's offer'

Jens Kubieziel maillist at kubieziel.de
Thu Jul 18 06:29:03 GMT 2013

* Samuel Carlisle schrieb am 2013-07-18 um 01:05 Uhr:
> Asks
> ====
> -give us your hacker / crypto contacts all over Germany.

Only the last sentence asks for a contact. As far as I understand it
they want a contact address of a person or legal entity who organises
the CryptoParty. So if we want to support it I would suggest that we
don't give them any contacts. When someone is interest in getting in
touch with TeleTrusT we give this person the contact of TeleTrusT. This
is the better way in my opinion.

> -we will take over accounts (??? does this mean pay for things or to
> *do* our finances, the translation is not clear to me).

What they are saying here that they will pay for real costs. So if
someone has to rent a room, pay for food and beverages, TeleTrusT will
cover those costs.

> -your events may not have any political affiliations.

Not an affilitaion with a special party. In September are elections in
Germany and some parties misuse such events to make campaining. I think
they want to exclude this here.

> Not to mention that there is also a veiled encouragement to get us to
> be able to make "proper invoices" which I assume in German, like UK,
> law mean that we have to become a legal body.

Speaking for Germany, many hackspaces are legal bodies (Verein) here and
so are able to issue invoices.

> Maybe they are nice guys that want to inform and protect the public?
> Or maybe they want to push certain agendas, co-opt and then destroy
> the movement?

Their agenda seems to support encryption for public use. In a sentence
which you didn't translate they wrote that they want to support "mail
encryption" in a way that everyone uses it.

I would suggest that
1. we talk to them and tell them our concerns
2. make a short notice on the website which says "you can get money from
   TT under this conditions" and "we don't support this because …"
So others which want to do a CryptoParty can evluate for themselves if
they think it is a good idea or not.

--
Jens Kubieziel                                   http://www.kubieziel.de