[CryptoParty] What's CryptoParty and what are guidelines?

Kai Engert kaie at kuix.de
Thu Jul 18 14:54:02 GMT 2013

>From my point of view, CryptoParty:
- focuses on the aspect that everyone has a right of privacy.
- should focus on the learning and fun aspects.
- is an initiative to help each other without fees.
- is free of commercial interests, which is necessary to remain
  neutral and be able to recommend solutions without bias.
- is a movement with a positive attitude, where everyone can
  feel welcome.
- should be free of political debates, besides supporting the right
  for privacy and encryption. Political debates are likely to
  take the focus away from the learning aspects and might
  be contrary to the idea that everyone feels welcome.

I'm supporting the CryptoParty movement by providing this mailing list
on my private infrastructure, and I'd like to suggest as guidelines
for this list, please:
- no advertising for political movements
- no advertising for anything that's commercial
- no swaggering about your organization's monetary sponsoring

I think nobody owns the term CryptoParty. If your event is political or
commercial, nobody can stop you from calling it a CryptoParty, but you
probably shouldn't advertise such events on any of the infrastructure
shared by the public CryptoParty movement.

If anyone would like to provide monetary sponsoring to a CryptoParty,
please do so by talking to individual people. However, as soon as you
are required to follow a sponsor's rules or publicly mention a sponsor's
name, you probably aren't hosting a _neutral_ CryptoParty.

This movement isn't about making money. There isn't any central CryptoParty
organization. There is simply a current group of people who have shown
to be active volunteers, and who either sponsor infrastructure or
help coordinate with the tranfer of knowledge.
This set of people can change at any time, and there aren't any rules for
joining, besides starting to be active and contribute with your work.

Because there isn't a central body who owns the movement, there isn't
a central body who could receive money, we cannot control money flows, and
we cannot hand out receipts.

Hope this makes sense and is in the interest of the majority of people
who have been actively supporting CryptoParty.

Thanks and Regards
Kai