[CryptoParty] Let's focus on the tools.

Samuel Carlisle samuelcarlisle at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 22:09:43 GMT 2013

On 18/07/13 18:27, Hauke Laging wrote:
> Am Do 18.07.2013, 16:09:10 schrieb MeI:
>
>> Cryptoparty states in it's handbook and elsewhere that it's a
>> non-commercial event and is not affiliated with political
>> parties. What more specification of that is needed?
>
> 1) Not everybody uses the handbook. If you are an expert for
> something why should you need the handbook? I would prefer an
> explicit statement from everyone.
>
> 2) "What does affiliated mean?" seems to me necessary to
> specification. It is ridiculous to me that somebody wearing a party
> t-shirt claims that the event was "not affiliated with political
> parties".
>

>> I don't care what ppl wear or who they are affiliated with or how
>> they colour their hair as long as the topic of CP is encryption -
>> and not a marketing or political event. Let's just keep it simple
>
> Exactly. "Neutral appearance" keeps it simple. Wearing a party
> t-shirt or having a party flag (or a huge company logo) on the wall
> starts a discussion about affiliation. The simple case is that such
> discussions are avoided. Don't tell me that "neutral appearance" is
> more complicated than "not affiliated with political parties"
> without any specification.
>
> There is a terrible report (with video) on the NDR web site about a
>  "Cryptoparty" in a Pirate party room. The instructor is wearing a
> party t- shirt, the slides of his presentation have contain "vote
> for Pirate party", it is unclear whether any non-member is in the
> room. Everyone they interview is a party member of even a party
> official or even publicly elected for the party.
>
> http://www.ndr.de/ratgeber/netzwelt/datenschutz/cryptoparty103.html
>
>  Shall I tell those "journalists" something about the handbook?
> Funny idea. I want to be able to point them at the signatures of
> the people they are reporting about under a code of conduct. Or I
> want to be able to point out that the community has explicitly
> accepted this code of conduct but the people they have reported
> about haven't.
>
> How obvious can abuse get? How obvious must it get until you
> recognize it as such?

I tend to agree with Hauke here that this blatant marketing sounds
"over the top". To resolve this, just very very politely inform the
people who made that party to "tone it down a bit" next time and see
what they are coming back with.

**But** I am just happy if more people are learning the tools.

Conclusion: mass public adoption and learning cryptography is the most
important thing here: and while we focus on the tools, we too will
remain neutral. Do not get distracted by politics.

p.s. this kind of support could appear to be trying hard just for the
elections under the pirate flag and can seem a bit insincere to some.
I guess it will be crystal clear once the elections are over whether
or not these guys are really committed to the Cryptoparty movement and
its goals. If they are then we should embrace and collaborate their
efforts- we are all on the same side as far as Crypto goes. So I think
they should have the benefit of the doubt for now.

Kind Regards,

samthetechie