[CryptoParty] Media Inquiries

Josh Scott josh at wtftacos.com
Wed Jul 24 02:39:31 GMT 2013

Hello Everyone! I have been organizing a CryptoParty in Dallas, TX USA
since January of this year. Last week we were approached by a reporter
at the AP doing a story about how people are changing their habits based
off of the leaks by Edward Snowden and asked if we could have a
photographer came by and take some pictures. I agreed and the
photographer was good about asking for consent before taking pictures.
The photographer mentioned that none of the other CryptoParties in the
US would agree to letting a Photographer in. Why would you bar the press
from doing a story about CryptoParty? Isn't the whole point to get the
word out and teach as many people as possible?

I thought I just saw something about a German CryptoParty getting
featured on a network news segment.

Anyways I figured that I should probably alert people about the AP
story. Since yesterday I have gotten some media inquiries and you might
too since the AP story got picked up everywhere and there seems to be
some media interest in cryptoparty in general now.

The AP story briefly mentions cryptoparty but the pictures are all from
the Dallas CryptoParty from last week.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/nsa-revelations-reframe-digital-life-some

Thanks,
Josh