[cp-global] Restarting the countries and languages discussion

Kai Engert kaie at kuix.de
Mon Mar 24 21:40:37 GMT 2014

On Mo, 2014-03-24 at 14:28 -0400, Bob Jonkman wrote:
> Why not remove all ambiguity and use the full name of the country?
>
>   canada at canada.cryptoparty.org
>
> That way it doesn't get confused with
>
>   catalan at catalan.cryptoparty.org
>
> (since both the country Canada and the language Catalan have the
> abbreviation "ca")

No ambiguity in my latest proposal, because languages use 2-letter,
country use 3-letter.

There are several countries who have rather long names, e.g.:
- Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha
- Congo, the Democratic Republic of the

Would look quite ugly, I think.

> And is the subdomain necessary? Would this mailing list address work?
>
>   canada at cryptoparty.org

If we use a subdomain, we make it possible to transfer country-specific
infrastructure to a group in a country. Because of the subdomain, this
can be a transparent change, without the need for reconfiguration. We
would change DNS, and the list address could remain unchanged.

I don't know how likely this is to happen. It was Moritz' suggestion to
prepare for that eventuality.

I think the idea is good, and using a subdomain doesn't harm.

Kai