[LACryptoparty] Culver City Police Department - Automated License Plate Reader & Drone Program

Richard Wheeler richarduwheeler at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 17:31:36 GMT 2018

All

Some background that I found interesting:

This video <https://youtu.be/aJ-u7yDwC6g?t=1m27s> (link starts at 1:27)
shows a little bit of how LAPD is using license plate readers and Palantir
<http://www.palantir.com/>. This video
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=66&v=SFWCDUArMGs> (link starts
at 0:66) shows how a software system provided by the proposed ALPR hardware
vendor, Vigiliant Solutions <https://www.vigilantsolutions.com/>, enables
similar workflows.

CCPD adoption of ALPR would add to the collection that LAPD and LASD are
already conducting in their jurisdictions in LA County. From the proposed
policy
<https://culver-city.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=F&ID=5787790&GUID=F1AF631D-685D-43D4-AF3B-D995DF83F298>:
"428.5 RELEASING ALPR DATA: The ALPR data may be shared with other law
enforcement or prosecutorial agencies for official law enforcement purposes
or as otherwise permitted by law..." According to CCPD Captain Sam Agaiby
the Vigilant Solution software enables departments to "'check a box' to
openly share the entirety of their local license plate catalog with every
other police department who checked that same box".
<https://steemit.com/news/@warrensz/culver-city-council-tables-police-surveillance-purchases>

Richard