Re: [cp-global] What should be the policy for posting on this list?

+1 for taking the democratic route, and sorry to hear that you are having to fight spam.

Your prompt resonated with me, as the same questions are being debated globally (in regards to social media & content moderation both there and more broadly in media). Naturally, big tech only wants to play god when they benefit from it. I can't blame them - their objective is to make a return for shareholders, not decide what should and shouldn't be allowed on their platforms and define what "free press" is (in terms of both content moderation & their feed algorithms.
The best answer (in my opinion), is likely the same as the best answer to your question for the community regarding spam - decentralize the decision. Spam filters are (in theory) supposed to be driven by supervised machine learning (the public doing the supervising by providing feedback in their inbox). I can't comment on the extent that big tech doesn't influence the spam protocols, but something similar, tailored to this mailing list, would be ideal. A few people mark an email as "off topic" / "spam"? It gets filtered as such. This aligns with Reddit's algorithm, which takes a democratic approach to content moderation, leveraging peer review. Note, however, that open source is a requirement in order for it to be "provably democratic", free of any individual (person or entity) influence.

-Adam

On 6/1/22 9:53 PM, cryptoparty postmaster (postmaster cryptoparty.is) via <global@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
There were 15 replies to the survey.

60% asked for moderation to avoid spam.

Only one vote asked for strictly limiting posts to CryptoParty itself, 5 votes asked to restrict posts to Internet security, and 3 votes for allowing all posts that are related to cryptography. 6 votes asked to allow messages on any topics.

Based on the above votes, the suggestion for the list policy is as follows:

The list will be moderated.

Allowed will be messages that provide relevant information on the wider topics of Cryptography, Internet security or Surveillance, and that aren't a monetary request, like asking for a purchase or an investmest.

Other messages will likely be treated as spam or as off-topic and will be rejected.

Regards
Your Postmaster