[CryptoParty] demonstrations in Germany on July, 27th & structure improvements

Hauke Laging hauke.laging at openpgp-schulungen.de
Sat Jul 13 13:48:13 GMT 2013

Hello,

long mail, sorry, but I hope worth reading to the end.

There is a call for demonstrations against you-know-what in Germany for July,
27th.

http://demonstrare.de/termine/27-07-stopwatchingus-deutschlandweite-proteste-gegen-prism-und-tempora
(please note my comment on that page :-)  #comment-1102)

I guess that these demonstrations will be a good opportunity to point to the
local Cryptoparties (I assume everywhere where a demo will be there is also a
Cryptoparty). This may happen by mentioning it if there is a speech or by
distributing flyers. The main organiser likes the idea.

Another point: Given the current media interest in Cryptoparties it may well
be that the press release for an event is more effective (i.e. leads to more
noticable media coverage) if it mentions the support for the local
Cryptoparty, say: "We do not just make the people show their opinion on a
single day but concretely help them to change their digital life."

Thus: If you are part of a Cryptoparty team then check if such a demonstration
is planned in your area. And if not, maybe do it yourself. ;-)

Something else:
Big things will happen in Germany within the next days. Three (ARD, N24, ZDF)
or four TV crews (plus one of Ukrainian TV) will attend to my two OpenPGP
courses next week. Most probably (the powers that be must make an official
decision yet) we will use this singular opportunity to announce that now

a) there is a (smaller) event each week in Berlin. One subject per event only
(several just if there are closely connected). The most important subjects in
heavy rotation: OpenPGP (including XMPP-OTR) and maybe disk encryption every
month. Other subjects every two months.

b) we teach future instructors (i.e. increase the number of events)

>From my experience of attending to three Cryptoparties I suggest not to use
big events for installing software. At least not those software which most
people need (OpenPGP, XMPP, OTR). The handbook (at least my not really current
version) says:

"If you want CryptoParty to do something, start doing it. Organise
organically and chaotically."

"A successful CryptoParty can have as many or as few as two people.  Size
doesn't count,"

I consider both attitudes bad. If we want to really change something then wen
need I guess about ten million people using crypto in Germany alone. Let's say
in ten years. Every strategy which does not realisticly lead us to these ten
million users within at most ten years is just fun. I don't say anything
against fun but that is not my primary target. My primary target is changing
the world.

I ask everyone: Have a look at the input and the output of your events. And
ask yourself if the ratio is good and if not how you can improve it. In my
experience those events are not very efficient.

My main experience with my own courses is: The main problem is (obviously) not
my knowledge level. The main problem is: How can I teach OpenPGP effectively
and efficiently. On the other hand yesterday it came to my mind that if all
the Cryptoparty stuff OpenPGP is probably the most evil subject with respect
to this.

However, I think we really need a second handbook. We have one for the
content. We are missing one about how to do it effectively and efficiently.
This may not be important for everyone but I guess that a relevant share of
the organisers considers these important criteria. And I am sure that most
people who don't consider IT one of their hobbies prefer a short "get done
what I am here for" event over a "let's talk about it and try to find someone
who can help you" event.

Having frequent small events (say 20 people) we will probably learn quickly
how the organization can be improved. We will offer these experiences and
ideas to the public (as I have already done for my courses:
http://www.openpgp-schulungen.de/erfahrungen/ ).

I have suggested to change the content of the bigger events. They shall not be
used to install mainstream software like OpenPGP and OTR. Instead a lot of
subjects should be presented, 10 to 20 minutes each. Then the participants can
decide which of those they want to get installed on another (focused and
efficient) event. Of course, this is possible only if you have dedicated
smaller events. But those are easier to set up. After the presentations (for
which you do not need experts!) such subjects could be handled in small groups
which have not enough demand for a dedicated event.

I also suggest to set up chat support. If a big event takes place then it
makes sense to have immediate access to experts. If there is a support chat
room then experts from everywhere can be available. They do not have to attend
to the event. Organizing an event is much easier if you do not need experts
physically present in your location. People should be offered to register as
experts for a certain subject. If someone is planning an event then he can ask
for e.g. five people on the respective mailing list. It might even make sense
to run big events simultaneously because then the online experts can be shared
(i.e. are more efficient).

CU

Hauke
--
☺ http://www.openpgp-schulungen.de/
XMPP (mit OTR): gnupg-support at jabber.org
CF51 CB88 7D9A B184 AD50  21F4 DA6B 2836 5A21 B2D0