[CryptoParty] Analysis of 'German Foundation's offer'

Hauke Laging hauke.laging at openpgp-schulungen.de
Wed Jul 17 23:39:01 GMT 2013

Am Do 18.07.2013, 01:05:38 schrieb Samuel Carlisle:

> I think the main question is do they meet *our* requirements. My
> personal opinion is no, they do not. Here's why...
>
> So I have had a look at the company's website

It's not a company. It's non-profit society of companies which are active in
the area of IT security. I believe they want to help that this historical
golden opportunity is not passed up.

I got a call from their director today and we had a very pleasant
conversation. He told me that it was difficult for him to get in touch with
us. Thus he finally contacted the Pirate party and luckily the inquiry reached
us.

They want to support the movement but didn't have a good idea how to do that.
IMHO paying for drinks is a bad idea. I don't "pay" my participants. They are
often surprised that they don't have to pay. And considering how I feel after
this terrible week I am kind of surprised about that, too... :-o

I have made several suggestions how they could spend the money instead. I have
made several suggestions for technical improvements. I am not sure how I shall
assess the probability that they get realized. I don't have any time at all to
care about that. Thus I told him that one possibility was that they offer IT
manpower to get such things done.

Another idea is that they get the handbook translated. It would be perfectly
OK to me that everyone who does that puts "initially translated by XYZ" on the
cover.

They are also willing to support the events with experts. But I don't think
that that makes much sense. We don't need experts on that level but need
continuous presence.

A completely different kind of support which I suggested would be to promote
the idea of having an internal Cryptoparty. Their members could try to
motivate their customers to do that and offer some information how to get that
done.

The other way round: I guess it makes sense to have a positive list of offers
which most of us would be willing to accept.

CU

Hauke
--
☺ http://www.openpgp-schulungen.de/
XMPP (mit OTR): gnupg-support at jabber.org
CF51 CB88 7D9A B184 AD50  21F4 DA6B 2836 5A21 B2D0