[CryptoParty] What's CryptoParty and what are guidelines?

Hauke Laging hauke.laging at openpgp-schulungen.de
Thu Jul 18 15:51:52 GMT 2013

Am Do 18.07.2013, 16:54:02 schrieb Kai Engert:
> >From my point of view, CryptoParty:
> - focuses on the aspect that everyone has a right of privacy.
> - should focus on the learning and fun aspects.
> - is an initiative to help each other without fees.
> - is free of commercial interests, which is necessary to remain
>   neutral and be able to recommend solutions without bias.
> - is a movement with a positive attitude, where everyone can
>   feel welcome.
> - should be free of political debates, besides supporting the right
>   for privacy and encryption. Political debates are likely to
>   take the focus away from the learning aspects and might
>   be contrary to the idea that everyone feels welcome.

I suggest that we put this – perhaps after some debate, additions, changes –
on the web site and ask all activists to sign it. For my part even with an
pseudonymous key. That would be a good example of what crypto can be used for.
:-)

"Cryptoparty" would be (not in a legal sense but in the opinion of the general
public) every event that is compatible with these rules. The "Cryptoparty
community" would be the people who have signed that.

I would like to have something added. I leave the wording to native speakers
ans just explain what I consider important:

I want a neutral appearance of all instructors and organisers with respect to
companies and political parties. I am OK with people wearing clothes from non-
profit organizations which (primarily) support open source software, open
standards, or the like. People shall teach others or organise the teaching or
offer rooms because they want to support the movement. They shall not use this
activity to promote something except "compatible" organizations like those I
just mentioned.

If an event is used for appearance in the press (pictures, videos) then I
would also demand the room to have a neutral appearance. And not a huge Pirate
party flag on the wall e.g. If a non-compatible organization offers a room
then the press shall be instructed to picture the neutral parts only.

CU

Hauke
--
☺ http://www.openpgp-schulungen.de/
XMPP (mit OTR): gnupg-support at jabber.org
CF51 CB88 7D9A B184 AD50  21F4 DA6B 2836 5A21 B2D0