[CryptoParty] What's CryptoParty and what are guidelines?

Hauke Laging hauke.laging at openpgp-schulungen.de
Thu Jul 18 16:27:28 GMT 2013

Am Do 18.07.2013, 16:09:10 schrieb MeI:

> Cryptoparty states in it's handbook and elsewhere that it's a
> non-commercial event and is not affiliated with political parties.
> What more specification of that is needed?

1) Not everybody uses the handbook. If you are an expert for something why
should you need the handbook? I would prefer an explicit statement from
everyone.

2) "What does affiliated mean?" seems to me necessary to specification. It is
ridiculous to me that somebody wearing a party t-shirt claims that the event
was "not affiliated with political parties".

> I don't care what ppl wear or who they are affiliated with or how they
> colour their hair as long as the topic of CP is encryption - and not a
> marketing or political event.
> Let's just keep it simple ...

Exactly. "Neutral appearance" keeps it simple. Wearing a party t-shirt or
having a party flag (or a huge company logo) on the wall starts a discussion
about affiliation. The simple case is that such discussions are avoided. Don't
tell me that "neutral appearance" is more complicated than "not affiliated
with political parties" without any specification.

There is a terrible report (with video) on the NDR web site about a
"Cryptoparty" in a Pirate party room. The instructor is wearing a party t-
shirt, the slides of his presentation have contain "vote for Pirate party", it
is unclear whether any non-member is in the room. Everyone they interview is a
party member of even a party official or even publicly elected for the party.

http://www.ndr.de/ratgeber/netzwelt/datenschutz/cryptoparty103.html

Shall I tell those "journalists" something about the handbook? Funny idea. I
want to be able to point them at the signatures of the people they are
reporting about under a code of conduct. Or I want to be able to point out
that the community has explicitly accepted this code of conduct but the people
they have reported about haven't.

How obvious can abuse get? How obvious must it get until you recognize it as
such?

CU

Hauke
--
☺ http://www.openpgp-schulungen.de/
XMPP (mit OTR): gnupg-support at jabber.org
CF51 CB88 7D9A B184 AD50  21F4 DA6B 2836 5A21 B2D0