[CryptoParty] TeleTrusT - Thanks but no Thanks

fukami f at foo.io
Mon Jul 22 18:02:43 GMT 2013

Hi Jürgen!

On 22.07.2013, at 19:29, Jürgen D. Fricke <jdf at procube.com> wrote:
> sometimes a movement turns the spin from low to high culture. Therefor
> i don't like the idea of an so called social firewall against people
> who knows a lot about IT security.

I think you didn't get the main issue either. It's not that I'm
against people from the IT security. It's the fine lines where people
offer commercial services and software - which is the case with TTT -
and security/crypto people helping developing and maintaing FLOSS and
help with knowledge. There might be some relations since also single
persons earn money from working for one of the TTT related corporations.
It's perfectly okay if they donate time and money as individuals. But
it's totally different if you let companies and associations jump
the game.

I also work in security, but I keep it completely away from
what I'm doing politically (well, as long it's not a question of
transparency).

So I'm totally fine with Mr. Mühlbauer showing support as Mr.
Mühlbauer but not as Mr. TTT.

> Please take a look at Robert Axelrod "The Evolution of Cooperation"
> and the REDCODE program tit-4-tat.
> https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tit_for_Tat

The problem with it is the political message TTT gets out of it
(beside the fact that they gather a direct access to people
attending there). If they want to make a strong statement on
civil rights, fine, they should do it right way and not by
relating it to something other (and trying to take over it
in the same move).

Also: They offered help under certain rules (which I see as some
sort of trojan for things to come). If you let these rules spoil
the events you are already in trouble and don't say clearly what
it is about (and it's not: "just use crypto" but "use crypto
and help make it more accessible and free for everybody".

Cheers,
  fukami