[cp-global] The Cryptogeddon Game

Moritz moritz at headstrong.de
Tue Sep 10 10:14:05 GMT 2013

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [liberationtech] Cryptogeddon
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 11:51:02 +0200
From: Dan O'Huiginn <daniel at ohuiginn.net>
To: liberationtech <liberationtech at lists.stanford.edu>

I like this concept. I'd particularly love a more basic version of this,
perhaps using openbadges to reward people who make it through a
game-cum-course that lets them use security-related tools.

A perennial problem in security education is getting people enough
practical experience. That's particularly true of communication tools --
you need to pair people up to practice communication, which can be hard
to arrange outside of face-to-face meetings.

A game would be a great way of dealing with this. I'm thinking of
something aimed at the fundamentals -- such as:

 - talk with this bot using OTR
 - read a clue that has been GPG encrypted with your public key
 - get some info out of a truecrypt volume
 - access a tor hidden service
 - send some text via a signed, encrypted mail

[I'll add this to my list of "projects for a rainy weekend", and
meanwhile wait to see whether Cryptogeddon is anything close to it]

Dan

--
Dan O'Huiginn
Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project

daniel at ohuiginn.net
http://ohuiginn.net @danohu
http://reportingproject.net
skype:danohuiginn
phone: +387 33 560 066.
--
Liberationtech is a public list whose archives are searchable on Google.
Violations of list guidelines will get you moderated: