[cp-global] countries or languages?

Moritz moritz at headstrong.de
Wed Mar 5 09:25:27 GMT 2014

On 03/05/2014 09:44 AM, Kai Engert wrote:
> I agree that people in the US, UK and AU would want their own local
> lists, but I guess they wouldn't want to duplicate the content, because
> they all speak english. Having an empty UK wiki might be confusing, if
> people in the UK are told they must visit the US wiki, as that's where
> all educational content is maintained.

Just to make sense out of this historically: If I remember it correctly,
I had the idea of a world map where you can add yourself/a group, and it
auto-generates a mailinglist for that region, to coordinate
cryptoparties. After some discussion, we concluded at OHM that the
simpler approach would be to just generate country-level mailinglists.

So, we mostly thought about coordination, not presenting information in
particular languages. I always thought the main wiki to be the source of
information, and ideally to turn that into a multi-language site.
Unfortunately, all translation frameworks SUCK MAJORLY, but I felt that
having it all in one place at least theoretically allows them to stay
more in sync with each other.

But, the idea of splitting off by language is not bad either.

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wikipedias could be another
source for languages and respective third-level domain names.

Hmm, this is a tough decision and we should get more input before we decide.

--mo