[cp-global] Restarting the countries and languages discussion

Kai Engert kaie at kuix.de
Mon Mar 24 21:06:58 GMT 2014

The world is more complicated than I had assumed. Wikipedia does refer
to some languages using 3-letter codes (for example: Fiji Hindi).

This means, the idea to use 3-letter codes for countries could result in
ambiguity, should we ever decide to support 3-letter-code languages. For
now, I suggest we limit ourselves to the 2-letter code languages.

Anyway...

I've prepared lists of 2-letter language and 3-letter country codes.

The 2-letter language codes were collected from www.wikipedia.org
selecting all languages that have more than 10000 pages, and removing
all languages that use a three letter code.

The 3-letter country codes is the full list of all countries from
wikipedia.

The files are available from here:
https://cryptoparty.is/misc/cp-language-and-country-codes.zip
(The archive contains two text files, which are encoded in UTF-8.)

Kai