[LACryptoparty] New messaging app and DNA privacy

Tim Schwartz tim at timschwartz.org
Mon May 7 15:35:36 GMT 2018

All, two things:

Briar, a new messaging app that aims to be surveillance resistant through some new methods was released today. We can try it out at the next cryptoparty which will be towards the end of May at CRASHspace, details to follow soon.

Check out Briar here:  https://briarproject.org/how-it-works.html

ALSO- please take some time to read about the Golden State Killer and how we was found by his DNA using genealogy sites. We should discuss DNA privacy and families at the next event.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-golden-state-killer-dna-implications-20180428-story.html

EXCEPRT from the article:

GEDmatch's privacy policy says its tools are "for comparison and research purposes" and encourages people to think closely about what they're providing. "In the end, if you require absolute privacy and security, we must ask that you do not upload your data to GEDmatch," its policy states.

Curtis Rogers, a GEDmatch co-founder, said in a statement that while "we were not approached by law enforcement or anyone else about this case or about the DNA, it has always been GEDmatch's policy to inform users that the database could be used for other uses."

Cheers,
Tim