[CryptoParty] how to handle the big gap between supply and demand

Hauke Laging hauke.laging at openpgp-schulungen.de
Sat Jul 13 18:36:11 GMT 2013

Hello, me again...

I just realized that the Cryptoparties (in Germany) are going to have the same
problem like me: There will probably be a huge amount of interest from
possible participants over the next three weeks due to my TV presence and the
demonstrations at the end of the month.

The imagination that 1,000 people have a look at a certain Cryptoparty page
(city) but the organisers can handle only 50 over the next weeks really hurts.
We should try to minimize the loss among the interested people.

I plan to reduce this problem by offering a mailing list over which I will
send the next date. Actually I already do it this way but have to improve it.

I think the Cryptoparty web site needs something like that. A central solution
so that the local groups are not forced to to it themselves (if they have then
interested people can be directed at that, no problem). Of course, this is
incompatible with the paranoia which so many here love but I consider it
necessary. If there is a "better" technical solution (no personal data
involed, widely adopted) then that may be used instead or in parallel.

>From a technical perspective it may be useful to split the domain up into
country subdomains (like de.cryptoparty.in) so that load balancing becomes
easier if it turnes out necessary. Fortunately the site is well designed (good
caching and only few small files to load).

CU

Hauke
--
☺ http://www.openpgp-schulungen.de/
XMPP (mit OTR): gnupg-support at jabber.org
CF51 CB88 7D9A B184 AD50  21F4 DA6B 2836 5A21 B2D0