[CryptoParty] how to handle the big gap between supply and demand

Samuel Carlisle samuelcarlisle at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 09:24:04 GMT 2013

On 13/07/13 20:36, Hauke Laging wrote:
> Hello, me again...
>
> I just realized that the Cryptoparties (in Germany) are going to
> have the same problem like me: There will probably be a huge amount
> of interest from possible participants over the next three weeks
> due to my TV presence and the demonstrations at the end of the
> month.
>
> The imagination that 1,000 people have a look at a certain
> Cryptoparty page (city) but the organisers can handle only 50 over
> the next weeks really hurts. We should try to minimize the loss
> among the interested people.

This is a real possibility that this will happen and you are right to
point out that we should all work together to make sure we cope with
this peak in interest.
> I plan to reduce this problem by offering a mailing list over which
> I will send the next date. Actually I already do it this way but
> have to improve it.
Ok great, we are working on just this since 2 weeks ago (some for
longer). It is a little python app and the outreach list is stored in
a Postgres database. There are few guys are working on but another
developer would be most welcome. Also if you have some server space to
donate to the project then we can deploy our python app soon. To the
user, they enter a rough area and then click the "keep me in the loop"
button. I would propose we ask people to be vague i.e. *not* give
their home address- lol we are not making an intelligence tool here!
This might require changes to the UI. Please look at the source code
here: https://github.com/cryptoparty/cryptoparty.in
I have just mentally noted that we had not included support for
multiple language variants (i.e. site strings in German... but this is
really really easy) I will add a ticket for this.

> I think the Cryptoparty web site needs something like that. A
> central solution so that the local groups are not forced to to it
> themselves (if they have then interested people can be directed at
> that, no problem). Of course, this is incompatible with the
> paranoia which so many here love but I consider it necessary.
I hope this is a joke. :)

If there is a "better" technical solution (no personal data
> involed, widely adopted) then that may be used instead or in
> parallel.
>
> From a technical perspective it may be useful to split the domain
> up into country subdomains (like de.cryptoparty.in) so that load
> balancing becomes easier if it turnes out necessary.
This is not a problem now so we can cross that bridge when we come to it.
IMO cryptoparty is far more robust as a federated group of
*independantly* run sites with a shared culture and objective.
Centralisation onto cryptoparty.org lead to catastrophic failure. I
think things are better this time but still.

For all the subdomain geeks out there... then maybe we can create a
series of static links i.e. at.cryptoparty.in --> https://cryptoparty.at/

So sure we can take all these two character codes:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1_alpha-2#Current_codes and
make static links as other cryptoparty websites come online...

Fortunately the site is well designed (good