[CryptoParty] Overview: Howto Effectively Co-Ordinate a Collective Rress-release to Defend Cryptoparty from TTT

Samuel Carlisle samuelcarlisle at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 17:38:33 GMT 2013

On 22/07/13 18:37, Jan Zimmermann wrote:

> Am 22.07.2013 um 16:55 schrieb Hauke Laging:
>
>> Am Mo 22.07.2013, 16:41:51 schrieb fukami:
>>
>>> Well, makes it much easier for me to understand what type of
>>> person you are.
>
> Did this statement appear in a private conversation only or am I
> not getting some mails on this List?
>
> I still think that we should defend this cryptoparty movement
> against tries to overtake us, e.g. by Teletrust. Why do single
> people act as speakers of the whole group when there is no
> legitimization to do so? That is really disappointing, even if
> those people did a lot of good in the past.
>
> Why not release a press statement clearly saying: No, we do not
> want any support by Teletrust, nor do we accept their statement
> that "the movement" wants this ? I think that this would be a
> minimum requirement to protect cryptoparties from infiltration by
> the industry, in person teletrust & associated  companies clearly
> working against true encryption and contra open source software.
>
> What do y'all think?

Thanks so much for this email Jan, I strongly agree that a
group-written response is now essential.

In this email I will outline 3 steps that we can take as a group in
order to draft, collectively edit and effectively broadcast our
condemnation of this move from the TTT.

We may very well celebrate diversity but our community and its values
are now under attack and threat of co-option and we need to speak both
loudly and with a collective voice to send a clear message to the TTT
and also to every other company who will come knocking at our door as
a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Step 1. First Version
=====================
Jan, as the first proposer would you care to have the responsibility
to produce the first draft for further collaborative editing by the
wider group? If somebody also feels very strongly to write something
now, please do so as it will be useful in the next step.

Step 2. Edit as a group via Git
===============================
In support of Jan and his proposal an in anticipation of making this a
group effort, I have setup a github repo that we might put in Jan's
version 1.0 document into our github so and then make a shoutout to
all branches of Cryptoparty for edits:
https://github.com/cryptoparty/press-releases

Repo Clone Urls:
(HTTPS) https://github.com/cryptoparty/press-releases.git
(SSH) git at github.com:cryptoparty/press-releases.git

The pull request
(https://github.com/cryptoparty/press-releases/pulls), fork
(https://github.com/cryptoparty/press-releases/fork) and issue
(https://github.com/cryptoparty/press-releases/issues) system on
github is user-friendly and will allow a large group to improve the
text in a cryptographically verifiable / accountable way (since git
uses hashes and attribution goes to the author making the pull request
etc).

Step 3. Thunderclap.it
======================
Finally, but most importantly, how to get our collective voice heard
above the crowd?

* We can use a crowd speaking platform system to do a social Media
Blast out / Thunderclap in order to all send the message at the same
time and with one voice.

* When we have this text ready, we should publish the final copy and
SHA256 hash as matching the copy in the Git repo to our server.

* We then write a short tweet and then the link to our article and
make a new "Thunderclap" here: https://www.thunderclap.it/?locale=en
in order to collect the social media reach of all of our supporters to
help make our response heard loudly and widely.
(watch how thunderclap works here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsKf587KJO8

Let's do this.

Kindest Regards,

samthetechie

- --
Samuel Carlisle BEng (Hons) Dunelm MIET
pgp: 0x54828CAA
fingerprint: 9E01 D8A4 CFEB ED72 B0D2 70D7 1D57 A297 5482 8CAA
twitter: @samthetechie