[CryptoParty] Media Inquiries

fukami f at foo.io
Wed Jul 24 04:05:25 GMT 2013

Hey Josh!

On 24.07.2013, at 04:39, Josh Scott <josh at wtftacos.com> wrote:
> I thought I just saw something about a German CryptoParty getting
> featured on a network news segment.

In Germany Cryptoparties drew quite some positive attention in big
and local media. The use of cryptography is an ongoing public
discussion which will last quite a while I guess.

> Anyways I figured that I should probably alert people about the AP
> story. Since yesterday I have gotten some media inquiries and you might
> too since the AP story got picked up everywhere and there seems to be
> some media interest in cryptoparty in general now.

In my point of view it is totally fine to invite and give advice
to the press. But there might be problem: Usually the press likes
to have people who stand for an idea or at least get some quotes.
Depending on the community this can lead to really stupid and ugly
discussions.

However, I can also see reasons to handle publicity in a different
manner. i.e. with yellow press, after bad experiences and other
circumstances.

Cheers,
  fukami