[cp-global] Restarting the countries and languages discussion

be. sva sva at cryptoparty.in
Mon Mar 24 19:28:17 GMT 2014

Hey,

I was part of that discussion, and already start writing about it, too.
Also I want to bring up a discussion on if all those lists and wikis are
really needed, see the other thread.

Here I propose how the wikis can be done at the backend:

Just namespaces of one dokuwiki, but if/how to implement that our
beloved serveradmin needs to tell :D

In dokuwiki namespaces can be hidden by alias, so e.g.
http://eh2010.muc.ccc.de/
http://acab.muc.ccc.de/

are the same wiki in the backend:
http://wiki.muc.ccc.de/eh2010:start
http://wiki.muc.ccc.de/acab:start

Every page started under fr.cryptoparty.org would be
wiki.cryptoparty.org/fr:home automagically. If Canada wants to have
ca.fr.cryptoparty.org they just get /fr:ca:home from the wiki. Still
they can hang up the canadian flag there :D

In that case we have the option on a search on all the content of all
the languages and countries but without the help of an external search
engine. Which is wonderful:
A wiki/website is in ideal a place where people just dump things (btw,
anyone explored this etherpad-plugin for dokuwiki already?) But imho the
power of dokuwiki is the _search_, and the "illness" of wikis is that
people have to put efford and time in layout and nice tagging/linking of
the page. So whatever is dumped, with the search you can find it.

For the cases like /fr:ca and /en:ca there might be a redirect possible
to /ca:, right?

So do we have covered all possible cases with such a setup? I hope the
assumption that MLs are mostly used to organizational stuff and
therefore makes the most sense on country/territorium is correct?
Knowledge sharing should really be done via the wiki I believe.

Its important to point out that everyone can get $language and/or
$country and whatever combination. (dokuwiki part I can serve for those
additional rquests, if it works as described) I wonder if it will be
many anyway ;)

And I hope I will finish the mail on the content question soon,

sva.